Daily / Current Day / Journal Card

Hi there guys,
first off, I love this platform so easy to use and clean to view. Keep going all.

What I would love to see and forgive me if this sounds very Roam and Obsidian like, but a button that creates a new day card for journaling. If this could be linked to templates as well as I have seen these suggested then that would be amazing. Imaging a selection of custom buttons that open templates. That’s another feature, wow I am on a roll.

Food for thought guys.

10 Likes

Definitely. We will probably integrate this when we have built out the new “dashboard” view, that will allow you to see daily cards, spaced repetition, statistics, etc.

4 Likes

Can you provide a flexible format so I don’t have to rename all my current daily notes? Thank you :wink:

When you say “flexible format”, do you mean you want the automatic titling when we create a daily card for you to be user configurable?

That’s right, the card title of a daily card.
Some inspiration from Obsidian and the syntax they refer to:

Crazy additional feature idea :star_struck: : imagine changing the format AND automatically updating the dailies you’ve already created.

That’s not too crazy at all @karel3s1 :wink:

1 Like

The more I use SN, the more I find myself manually duplicating things. I think there is a lot of room for reducing this!

One thing I do every day is create a daily card of specific colour, name and content. I think creating a special “type” of card, like a recurring Journal card would be very very useful. Other automations could be tacked onto that as a bonus

4 Likes

I’d like to second that. I too use different “types” of notes that need some work to set them up properly. Journal notes are one of them. Setting them up for me does not only require some textual frame that I could insert with a template already today, but a lot of meta information like

• color
  • specific parent
  • specific tag
  • visible/priority

The last item is a particular inconvenience as this requires to exit edit mode and even use the mouse. Now that I speak about that, solving this might even be worth a dedicated feature request.

Getting back to the point, I’d love to have some method to create a card of a custom type in an instant.

1 Like

If implemented, it should be optional if possible. Otherwise I would have a lot of blank journal entry cards. Perhaps empty cards could self destruct if not used. Any implementation should be unobtrusive. . . . and any journal cards should automatically have the date in the title or text body as a heading, in British, Intl, or American formats.

Agreed! I don’t envision that the system creates any cards for me, but the ability to quickly create cards myself that come with a certain set of metadata. This is how I understood @fuzzy.beach as well, and I hope I got that correct, in which case this threads title might be a bit misleading…

2 Likes

The implementation should certainly be unobtrusive and not force blank cards on users. There are many ways to do this, particularly leveraging the calendar that is already built in

1 Like

I’ve merged @fuzzy.beach’s recent feature request with a previous one from a while back.

We had an internal discussion about this, and have decided to add this along with an improvement to templates. So once you create a new card, and before you type, there will be an option to convert the current card to a daily card (filling out the title etc.). This will be implemented alongside customisable templates as well so you can configure and add your own templates with tags, colors and date variables.

8 Likes

That’s great news! Thanks for sharing!