Better details for to-do lists

I wish I could add details to to-do tasks more easily. Currently when a to-do task requires more details I create a separate card, link it to the specific task, and write the details and any subtasks in the new card. I do this to avoid overloading the to-do card.

What I imagine is the ability to possibly link one card with the title and content to another. This way only the title would appear as task, and if needed, I could expand the card with a small arrow to see the details.

I vaguely remember reading something similar here before, but I can’t find it anymore.

If that’s too complicated, I would still be happy if there were markdown with the ability to expand and collapse entries. Then I could expand and collapse all details and any subtasks.

4 Likes

Hi @DunkinDonuts, so the workflow you’ve mentioned, is the best process right now:

Currently when a to-do task requires more details I create a separate card, link it to the specific task, and write the details and any subtasks in the new card. I do this to avoid overloading the to-do card.

As you most likely know, this works so well because you can link to this “task card” from multiple places, and then see all the backlinks on this task card. It might seem a bit laborious to do this every time for every task, however it sets up your knowledge to be a lot more linkable and remixable. We’ve got some improvements in the works to make this flow even faster.

However, your request to be able to view everything in a single card → makes a card more like a long-form file rather than a card, and goes against the Supernotes ethos of breaking everything down into smaller more modular pieces. A card should be the smallest unit of knowledge and not have collapsible points within them (as cards themselves are collapsible).

Having said all of this, it sounds like the friction here is more about being able to quickly glance over the content within sub task cards, and this could be solved in a different way.

Out of interest why is clicking a card link to open the card in preview more friction than uncollapsing an entry within a card? Is it because it’s not similar to other applications or because the card popping up is too jarring? We could look into re-opening the old topic of hovering over card links to show small previews – although for obvious reasons this won’t work on mobile.

I believe that I like to have everything at a glance to not miss something out and with (un)collapsing a entry within a card it would be much easier for me personally. I like to re-check tasks to see if I need to add something else. Because my brain is often full with informations I tend to write some comments as details to tasks to not forget them.

The additional card is one more click away and I can not open multiple cards at once and arrange them side by side for example. Maybe these are the reasons I struggle currently with my to-do list setup.

I understand that it is against the simplicity of Supernotes and too complex.

Thanks you for the link to the topic. That would be something in the right direction but as you mentioned it wouldn’t work on mobile.

I get the best ideas on the go and create notes 80% of the time on one of my mobile devices.

But thank you for taking the time reading my topic and writing your thoughts! Maybe we’ll find something else, I would appreciate any ideas in that case! :blush: