Create and Store Templates

I’d love to have the ability to create and store templates.

Having templates would boost the workflow drastically for repetitive tasks.

In order to open up a template I’d suggest the following approach

Create a card → Add the title → “/” → “Templates” → Search / select the desired template.

4 Likes

Great suggestion @warum7. Templates is something we have been considering for a while – I have bumped up the priority for this.

Hi guys,
as I use templates that I have designed it would be fab if I could click a button or right click and duplicate that card.
At the moment I am selecting all the card and copy / paste the details to my new card.

e.g. here is my meeting template for minutes in my templates. It would be so much quicker to duplicate and then as we now can drag this card to its new location, drag it and rename the card.

Your thoughts guys?

Keep up the good work as this platform is amazing. I currently use Obsidian but much prefer the structure of this. Well done again.

1 Like

Hi @Karper71,

Creating and storing template cards is on our roadmap, and we will try to get it out as soon as we can. I have bumped up the priority further!

That brilliant, thank you Tobias

Regards
Karl

1 Like

+1 from me on individual notecard templates!

I’d also like to request an extension to this template feature: the ability to combine multiple notecard templates into a “meta-template”. Let me explain what I mean with an example! :slightly_smiling_face:

Every time I capture insights from a new source (article, book, video, etc.) I always create a set of common notecards: Glossary, Insights, Metadata, Quotes, and Study notes (and sometimes Questions) - with consistent icons and type tags across sources. For books, I also add a Cover notecard.

Adding and configuring all these notecards is currently very slow and tedious, so having a “meta-template” where I could just type a keyboard shortcut and then choose “Book” or “Video”, and have all these notecards magically appear, would be mind-blowing! Obviously, I’d still have to go into each card and customise its title, and add the source-specific topic tags, but that would still be a huge improvement on my current workflow.

1 Like

another +1 for this feature, would be great to make my own custom “meeting” template because I hate faffing around at the start of a meeting putting one together, which means I have to pre prepare a card before every meeting :slight_smile:

Templates are arriving with the release of Supernotes 2. This will be a simple template function, where the content of the card can be saved under a custom name using the Universal Coupler (the add element menu opened with /).

@JamesT - your workflow makes a lot of sense. However, instead of us adding this to the template function, how would you feel about using an automation tool such as Zapier / Integromat (once we’ve added official integrations) to configure a function to do this? So you could write a ‘book script’ for example, that takes in the title of the book and source specific tags and then creates a card on Supernotes with icon, tags, and content already filled out. You can actually already do this with the API, but it’s a bit too hands on, especially if you are on the move.

@Tobias Triggering “meta-templates” via an external tool, rather than Supernotes, would be fine for me.

I’m comfortable writing Shortcuts scripts in macOS, and I’ve just recently switched from Spotlight to Raycast (see this thread), so if I could trigger a “meta-template” with either of these tools then that would be perfect.

I’ll wait for the release of Supernotes 2 (and the templates feature), and then I’ll play around with scripting the API calls in Shortcut and Raycast to see what works best. If I come up with something useful I’ll share it here with the community.

1 Like

Templates are now officially added in Supernotes 2, please let us know what you think!

1 Like

it works mostly as expected, however tags, color, icon or parents saved with the template are not transferred to the note created with a template. Templates should facilitate or speed up repetitive work steps, and for me this also includes, in addition to the text of a form, the tags or parents or even the color or icon of a card.

A post was merged into an existing topic: Enhanced Templates