How does storage work in the unlimited account?

Q1) Is there an upper storage limit on the unlimited account?
If I understand correctly, supernotes is a web-first app, right? So I’m assuming the cards are primarily stored in cloud servers. It’s concerning because I have tons of images in my previous notes application and I’m not sure if supernotes can handle per se 2Tb of image data?

Q2) Also, are image quality reductions imposed for high quality images?

Q3) I was also wondering how syncing worked between web, desktop, and mobile. From what I understand all three platforms separately store the cards in their entirety? So if have 2TB worth of cards on the web it would equally take up 2TB on my desktop and mobile, right? And if I make changes on my mobile for example, the changes will be synced to the web and desktop via internet connection?

Thanks in advance!

I’m trying to imagine notes with 2TB of images, but I’m struggling. Could I ask the use case for that amount/size of images?

2 Likes

Hi @noty,

Welcome to the Supernotes Community!

Q1) Is there an upper storage limit on the unlimited account?

There is no upper limit to the number of cards you have, and you can easily have 1000s of cards without noticing any slowdown, since we paginated the number of cards – you can only see 25 cards at once. Images are stored separately on AWS, so they will only load when you view a card with that image. Although 2TB is a huge amount of data for images, and Supernotes isn’t designed for photo storage to that scale.

Q2) Also, are image quality reductions imposed for high quality images?

Yes, we run images through a compression filter, to improve loading times as Supernotes is intended to be used primarily as a note-taking tool. You can also included images from external urls if you’d like to host the uncompressed images elsewhere.

Q3) I was also wondering how syncing worked between web, desktop, and mobile?

Syncing will be changing soon so everything, including images, will be stored offline – at the moment images are lazy loaded like I mentioned above. So, yes, if you have 2TB of images you will also have to store them on your laptop and Supernotes would be unsuitable for your use case.

I hope this answers your questions. Also following on from @JamesT’s point what use case are you envisaging that requires that huge amount/size of images? I’m not aware of any note-taking app that would be able to support that.

2 Likes

It’s a photoark system of the animal and plant species.

Interesting! Is it personal notes that you’ve taken on each species, or is it an existing database that you’ve just transferred into your notes system?