LaTeX snippets for fast math note taking

Obsidian has a fantastic plugin that allows you to take math notes (with LaTeX) very fast, using a combination of snippets and concealing large portions of LaTeX source code. See:

In turn, this is based on a related setup from ViM (How I'm able to take notes in mathematics lectures using LaTeX and Vim | Gilles Castel). But the workflow in Obsidian is so much simpler, in my opinion. (See LaTeX Input for Impatient Scholars | Karthinks for a similar setup in Emacs).

I understand Supernotes supports LaTeX. But does Supernotes have any similar tooling for fast mathematical note taking (for example, snippet support)?

1 Like

Hey @49f9, welcome to the forum! We do not currently have any additional flows that make writing LaTeX faster on Supernotes, although we did add a LaTeX preview mode not long ago so that the rendered typesettings will show up in editor mode.

That plugin looks interesting, we will take a look at it! So far Supernotes has not been very focused on macro-based approaches, but that is something we’d like to improve in the future.

If anyone else would like to see improved LaTeX type-setting features, don’t forget to like the above post so that we can gauge interest.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply!

Maybe a macro-based approach is not necessary. A set of default shortcuts could also work if they are wisely chosen. Also a feature like the so-called “conceal” in the Obsidian plugin I linked (which conceals LaTeX commands using partially rendered symbols, like \alpha being shown as α, or \sum as 𝚺).

Also Texmacs has a very good set of features for fast math note taking, so it could serve as inspiration.