Manage coding project in SN

As I saw in the past here are some coders around. I have a bigger coding project and am constantly loosing overview.
I was thinking if it‘s possible (I think it is) and manageable to use SN with the outlining structure to plan and structure my project. So I would use parent children as folders in my Django project and tasks and coding blocks to display what I have to do and the snippets I have already coded so I can merge them together into the Django project.

Do you have any ideas on that?

1 Like

I have the same troubles. The current features make it extremely difficult to surface linked content in a clear way.

May I ask what programs you are using?

How do you mean? you mean as alternative to SN?

Hey @isaiur,
that really looks like a case for the so called org mode.
But if you decide to look into that you should know that org is designed to work with emacs.
With supernotes you (at the moment) can’t interop with your codebase.

I thought about sth like github projects maybe? I have a very short deadline and need to have structure, be ahead of all things I have to do in the next weeks and have to sort and save the versions of codesnippets.

I think I could handle this with supernotes, because for every snippet I could have one card with a task section and could use parent child structure to display the folder structure of the django project but I thought I ask what other programmers use, because I don’t have so much experience and am at the beginning of coding projects.

Can I ask why you want to save the code snippets for an active project in another tool? Personally I think it is best to store any code for a specific project within the project itself. With proper use of version control things should always be easy to find / get rid of / etc.

When it comes to folder structure, I think generally the goal should be for the structure to be intuitive enough where no real explanation is needed. For individual files you can always have some heading comments that explain what the file is for, but in general I think that can be overkill as well.

We manage Supernotes development from Supernotes itself, however the extent of this is primarily: having cards that track each release (and tentative releases in the future). These are almost entirely just checklists of things to do before release. We also have a “Features” card that holds a child card for every feature request we receive (or feature we come up with ourselves)

2 Likes

I know that it doesn’t make sense for a pro. I’m using this project as a learning by doing approach and would like to copy those snippets to have kind of an overview like ‘this is the button on the app, it needs this html-code, this css-class, these java-script functions, for Django this view and the site it’s on has this url-pattern’

So I thought I could copy the snippets to have kind of a wiki for myself.

I tried using Supernotes to track work stuff before. Due to the complex nature of my work (juggling between development, release, and project management), I have stopped doing so. For tracking a single development project, it might work. You can have a parent card that serves as the overview, with links to tasks and code snippet cards.

I also have a Django project. I suppose you have different Django apps with their corresponding views, urls, and models? Maybe you can create cards that represent the Django apps and nest them under a parent card.

Yes, I have different django apps and cards that represent those django apps were on my mind, too. I am starting to manage this project on Supernotes with version control on git and when I dive deeper or have another project I will see what I need additionally.
Are you using sth like Trello / Airtable to manage all of your projects?

I’m using Tana to manage my projects. I have tasks, projects, areas, goals, release plans, releases, etc. set up as supertags, each with its own metadata. The live search feature makes it convenient to retrieve relevant information quickly. Tana also offers different views for queries, so I get to view my projects and tasks presented in different ways for certain situations.

I wouldn’t say it’s good for knowledge management because things feel fragmented. I still use Supernotes for knowledge management.

1 Like

I have been in the software development industry for several years and cannot recommend enough that you store everything related to a project in a single version control system that also contains the source code for that project. Markdown files work great for any text files you need.

Supernotes is amazing but I think its a better fit for storing notes about software development concepts than storing source code you intend to use in projects. For any code you plan on actually using in a project, just store it in the project. Storing it in supernotes may seem convenient but will be a real headache later.

Thanks for the advice. Yesterday I started with GitHub Desktop and it works perfectly for me. I didn’t want to store snippets in supernotes to use them again - it only would work for me as a kind of wiki to show the connections between the snippets.