My: I really want to love this app!

I really like the app, for example
the idea of working with “little notes (snippets)” and the idea of the tags and the parents card.
But in the daily working it feels not so “comfortable”,
I am not coming in a realy flow.

For example the editing:
I am a “notion.so” power user, and i am so fast with using the “slash-commands”,
for example make a “todo” list or other things like,
duplicating, change into …, …
or to make a templates.
It feels more natural in compare with supernotes.

Another example,
the working/editing make a parent-card stops my workflow.

i think the handling is not so optimize

i hope somebody will understand me :slight_smile:

There’s been a few of these posts now and I think there’s a growing frustration of the popup and noteboard UX, which I believe the team have acknowledged and will hopefully address soon.

2 Likes

Hi @micaelo, thanks for sharing your thoughts! As @rawkode has mentioned, we are working on improving the flow and ergonomics of card creation / editing.

Supernotes is quite different from Notion, and our distinctly different display / edit views has it’s advantages, especially when scrolling through cards with the up / down arrow keys and pressing enter to edit a card. Once you get used to it, it’s very powerful and often a lot faster. We recognise that this can be improved, like the ‘todo’ list you have mentioned and our editing experience will be greatly improved with the arrival of our new editor.

We are working on quite a few big things at the moment (desktop apps, mobile apps, 1.7 release) and are looking forward to sharing these with you! Hopefully you will be a Supernotes power user in no time! :tada:

I will give my best :sunglasses:

1 Like

@micaelo, @tobias

I also had to adjust to the flow initially. I have become used to the card preview and open scheme and rather like it to see what’s in the card before you decide to jump into the card or see it’s parents/children.

I’ve given some thought to the friction people get with the card structure though. I think people coming to Supernotes are coming from two camps. Either the hierarchy camp where they are used to everything being visible in the folder/file structure or the Roam camp where they don’t worry about it due to back linking (the big difference is automatic back links done INLINE)

I’ve given some thought to this and I think Supernotes could have an advantage in that it can offer both via a potentially easy user-selectable option. If users who are used to a nested file structure could toggle all notes to DEFAULT to priority visibility they would get that functionality.

Users who like the current setup could leave it defaulted to visible as it is now. For this group however, there still seems to be friction. I think this requires two changes. First, bulk editing. The ability to select multiple cards and apply a visibility setting, color setting, junk setting, etc. would allow better control especially once cards start building up.

Second, similar to the request to allow inline tagging via the hashtag, Supernotes would do well to allow inline back links via the double brackets. This is becoming commonplace and expected among note apps. The slash command could stay in place as it is a good trigger for the 5 or 6 available options but the ability to do tagging and linking inline opens up the potential of Supernotes as the premier zettelkasten tool.

6 Likes

I totally agree that inline backlinks are THE missing feature. I absolutely love Supernotes UI and UX. But having to go into another field to create backlinks and hashtags is counterproductive to the smart notes paradigm / Zettlekasten method. Since cards are the smallest unit, Supernotes is actually the most faithful digital equivalent of the actual Zettlekasten system. But right now outline based systems like Roam and Logseq are so fast. Gaining that speed through inline back linking would make Supernotes superior as there would be less clutter than an outline. Any plan to implement something like inline backlinking and hashtags?

2 Likes

@LanceLaytner I’m not sure I understand how you and @APNext are using the phrase “backlink” here. Is it possible that you’re confusing the term with “link” or “forward link”, or am I simply misunderstanding you both?

My understanding is that in Roam, Logseq, Obsidian, etc. the double-brackets are used to create a new “forward link” to a file with the given title (which also simultaneously creates a “backlink” from that new, or existing, file to the current file).

That’s also how “backlinks” work in the current version of Supernotes - i.e. when you create a new “forward link” via the + or /-command menu, the “backlink” to the current notecard is automatically created.

So I’m guessing that you’re both arguing for inline “forward linking” (via double-brackets), and not for a change in how the “backlinks” are automatically created?

1 Like

Back to the OP’s post: I am an expert user of Evernote. I’ve even grown accustomed to their major re-design in the jump to v10. At the time of writing, I have 13,642 separate notes in Evernote (many consist of multiple and/or lengthy documents in PDF received electronically or made with a scanner). I use it as a knowledge management system and to-do list. It is my main Cloud Storage for every critical document I’ve received, task completed, trips taken, and bills paid in the past 10+ years. I also use the reminders function of Evernote to do a sort of Date/Time sorted To-Do list, replacing my use of a Kanban Board product from another vendor.

I was immediately impressed with the concept and UI of Supernotes, especially for some tasks involving study material and online Flashcards. I seem to remember hearing that there may be some Spaced Repetition features a-la Anki in Supernotes in the near future. In the meantime, I’m a bit at a loss for how to work Supernotes into my daily workflow. I’m considering the “Daily” features might be a good place for my To-Do list, but the trouble is, my To-Do list items frequently are accompanied by many pages of scanned documents and records for the long-term life of (especially recurring) to-dos. Right now, it’s pretty painless to have the To-Do system and the Document Repository both in Evernote with lots of linking. at 58, it may be that I’m too old to start thinking in a new paradigm, but I am just having trouble getting more than a handful of cards in Supernotes.

Any others out there with a similar experience?

– John

Hey! I’m not going to lie — it was different for me too. I’m still fairly new to this whole personal knowledge management sector — I’ve always taken notes, just never in a consistent place, for a consistent time in a beneficial manner.

I started trying so many apps it’s honestly unreal and I wouldn’t recommend people to ever do that when getting into this learning experience. Get what works for you and stick with it unless — like you’re experiencing, you outgrow your platform. In these cases branching out seems to be the best choices because, by then you’ve obviously outgrown your current solution.

I was using Notion extensively for a while, as a beginner. My workflow now? It’s fairly extensive app wise but they all have their purpose which is the key. I use SuperNotes for PURELY my Zettelkasten, mainly just my Zettel’s or Atomized Concepts. SuperNotes truly fits the meaning of the Zettelkasten workflow far better than any I’ve personally seen.

It’s about keeping the key points and summary on one side of the note card, then making sure you can re use that to create new ideas and content at ease without thought. It really excels at that with the No hierarchy. This is what mine currently looks like if this helps.

If you want a couple Evernote alternative recommendations? Check out:

• Anytype.io - Notion like but Open Source built on IPFS (Interplanetary File System)
  • Amplenote
1 Like

Thanks, @Ambitendency,

I appreciate your thoughtful reply. I’ve got to check out this zettelkasten technique. I’ve seen it around the productivity circles on YouTube and Medium. It sounds like a grasp of the basic concepts of Zettelkasten may give me a boost in understanding the architecture/features of @Supernotes. I also did a 1:1 session on video chat with Connor yesterday. A huge leap forward. I really appreciate that there is such a dedicated community out here in the Forum to let us learn from each other’s experience.

Best,
—John

Don’t fret if you don’t understand it immediately either. I’m not exaggerating when I say it literally JUST clicked for me a few weeks back and I’ve been studying this stuff for about a year now. The key thing is don’t feel restricted by the technique. That is — don’t feel intimidated by it, like you have to stick by the rules and they’re set in stone. Take the ideas that make sense from the methodologies — then make them work in your System. This is when I truly began to flourish, and produce great work. I’ve been in a constant flow for 3 days now. UNHEARD of before.

1 Like