Ordered subitems in numbered lists

Currently, we can have lists like this:

1. An item
2. Another item
3. A third item

I’d like to have lists like this (with support for automatically changing the indices as I indent or outdent):

1. An item
  a. A subitem
  b. Another subitem
    i. A fine detail about (b)
    ii. Another fine detail
2. Another item
  a. Yet another subitem
  b. You get it now, I imagine
3. A third item

I don’t know if there is a well-defined convention for what comes after the lowercase roman numerals if you have a fourth level or greater. Some apps just keep doing lowercase roman numerals all the way down at that point. Personally, I’d probably switch to bullet points if I ever got there, but I think unordered lists within ordered list items are already supported.

Indented numbered lists are already supported, just use four spaces, like so:

1. An item
    1. A subitem
    2. Another subitem
          1. A fine detail about (b)
          2. Another fine detail
2. Another item
    1.  Yet another subitem 
    2. You get it now, I imagine
        1. A fine detail about (b)
        2. Another fine detail
3. Final item

Once they are rendered in display mode, the ordered list type automatically changes depending on the indentation, so it will look like the following:

We definitely can try to improve the edit mode experience though, to automatically replace the numbers with letters depending on the level of indentation and will have a look at improving this in a future update! :smiley:

Ah, I see! I didn’t realize to what degree it was already supported because:

1. I was attempting to use two spaces instead of four
  2. The current editor behavior does not change the numbers automatically even to support the above use case when doing an indent/outdent. If you indent a 2. it stays a 2. instead of restarting the numbering. But if you manually construct a list as you suggested (ie, restarting the numbering within an item) it ultimately renders as you say.