Random sort re-randomizes every refresh

On web applications, random sorting is re-performed every time the page is refreshed.

On Android devices, the application refreshes every time the phone is unlocked.

Is this intentional design or a bug? :thinking:

Hi @hahahumble,

This will change with the introduction of offline mode in Supernotes 3, the state will also be persisted and stay the same on both web and Android. Once 3.0 is released, do let us know if you are happy with the behaviour then and if it’s consistent across the web and Android apps for you.

2 Likes

Thank you for your reply, I’m really looking forward to the release of Supernotes 3.0. :heart_eyes:

1 Like

It seems that this issue still exists in Supernotes 3.0

Hi @hahahumble,

Unfortunately, we decided not to implement this in the end as sort by random is intended to be random. Storing the random sort order and persisting it between sessions didn’t end up making much sense, so I’m marking this as “Intended Behavior” for now.

However if anyone else feels strongly about this, we are open to reconsidering this in the future. Please comment below or like @hahahumble’s original post above so we can gauge interest.

Supernotes desktop app reorders randomly every time the window is refocused, this is obviously not ideal. :neutral_face:

1 Like

Yeah, that’s fair, it is even more aggressive than it used to be. We will stabilize it in the next release.

1 Like

For me, in 3.0.3 the noteboard is now not at all re-randomized, not even after restart if the app. This is “less aggressive”, but too much so in my view. Is this this the new, intended behaviour?

Hi @freisatz,

You have to trigger a new re-randomize by sorting by Random again. You can do this quickly using the Universal Search (CMD + K) > Sort Cards > Random.

That’s a step backwards for my personal use case of that feature.

I want to resurface old stuff to passively expose myself to all of my contents. If I have to trigger this, it’s not passive anymore. Chances are I am not going to trigger it as often, which reduces exposure.

May I ask, what possible use case is related to the new implementation?

I’m pretty happy with this new change because this is how random sorting works in most other cases(Excel, Programming Language).

This feature allows you to do something else (check other apps) in the middle of reading without worrying about forgetting which card you’re looking at because you’ve closed Supernotes.

Maybe a randomize sensitivity slider could be implemented. Users could then adjust according to their needs.