Rapid access code snippets

Thought I’d share one of the ways I’m really enjoying using supernotes.

In the last 8 months I’ve started a PhD in meteorology and learnt to write models of chaotic systems in python. I made a ‘code’ parent card to store useful snippets, or links to useful stackoverflow pages. I find this really useful because it’s so much faster to look up a snippet in supernotes than to open up a previous project and trawl through to work out how I implemented something previously!

3 Likes

This is awesome @daniela1, thanks for sharing your workflow! We have also just implemented auto-formatting when pasting content from a webpage, such as Stack Overflow or Github. Hopefully you will find that useful, here’s what it looks like in action:

Good luck with the PhD!

1 Like

Rather than having a dedicated parent card, I just tag my cards with #code or #algorithm or #equation. That way I can get all my code / pseudo code / equations from throughout my entire home by filtering for those tags

3 Likes

Good Question …
What is better, more tags oder more parent cards ? :thinking:

Hey @micaelo :raising_hand_man:t3:

I use #tags as descriptors. Basically, tags and parent cards function the same with some exceptions.

• You can filter by tags, not cards
  • You can organize cards into hierarchy, unlike tags

It all should be solved when we get…

1. Graph view with filtering by parent cards

It’s top request by me personally. Far more urgent than native apps or anything else. One of key points of a tool for thought is to connect ideas. There’s no way to filter cards by parents to see intersections at the moment.
I suppose, it’d come with graph view. When connecting, we would open the graph of (example) a card about sleep and see the connected cards (like in Roam) about stress, health, physical energy, biology, etc. Then we could filter them by Sleep and Stress to precisely find relations.
Tags are workaround now. Unless we have the graph, it’s the only way to filter cards. Though, filtering only makes sense for concepts (cards like sleep, biology), not for descriptors (code, workflow).

2. Custom properties

To have descriptor, author, type properties… A little bit of Notion wouldn’t hurt here. Ability to filter all books cards by author would be nice. It is a tricky one, though, I suppose, also not that necessary and potentially OCD-triggering. Interesting to see how you’d implement it :thinking:

Everything above is my personal opinion :upside_down_face:
Anyway, @tobias @connor guys, great job and looking forward for the updates :nerd_face:

1 Like

Thanks for that thought :v:
I use in the moment also the tags as descriptors.
I thinks that is a good way.
i found the workflow/handling with the parent-card is not so optimize.