Tabbing from a card title highlights parent link

I’m not sure if this a bug or an intended feature, but I’m assuming the former.

In previous versions of Supernotes, hitting TAB from a notecard title would place the cursor inside the notecard’s content, ready for you to start writing.

With the current version it now highlights the notecard’s parent link. The parent menu can be opened by pressing Enter, but I can’t figure out how to interact with the parent menu via the keyboard.

It’s extremely rare that making changes to the parent would be the first thing I’d want to do when starting a new card, so could I request that the old TAB behaviour be reinstated? (Or that the new idea with the parent link is explained).

Hi @JamesT,

This new behaviour is a side effect of the Menu overhaul we released in Supernotes 2.1.0. We started to make the menus more accessible so you would be able to tab through them, but this behaviour is not fully-completed yet.

We will look into reverting the original behaviour so tabbing from the card title will take you straight into the card content. In the meantime, pressing the down arrow key will take you straight into the card content from the card title (and vice versa using if your cursor is at the start of the card content).

1 Like

Hi @Tobias,

I vaguely remember (perhaps incorrectly?) that this feature was fixed for a while, but now tab navigates to the parent link again. Are you still working on menu accessibility features for 3.0?

Hi @JamesT,

You’ve got it! Yep we’ve had a few requests to improve accessibility / screenreader support, so we’ve started working on cards. One of the first things we’ve quietly released is making the display mode on cards tab-bable, so you can flick through most of the interactions using tab now. As a side-effect this means parent badges are also tabbable in edit mode but we’ve not added support for the menus yet.

Going forward this will probably be here to stay, but you can still use up / down arrow keys to go between title / body.

Makes sense, thanks. I’ll just try to adjust my muscle memory, so I start using enter, instead of tab, when switching from card title to content.