Vetting Supernotes for Team Documentation

Hello Everyone!

I am trying to vett supernotes as a solution for a client that is looking to have a simple, mobile friendly, note taking app for documentation as she starts her company. I couldn’t get a good picture of how supernotes works for teams/co workers from the website and wanted to ask the community for feedback

Is anyone here using Supernotes for work? What is the experience like for people on the receiving end of a shared note?
How are the mobile apps? Do they work well in low/poor reception situations?

Finally, it looks like the pricing is on a per-user basis. Is there any support for multiple seats belonging to one admin?

Looking forward to learning more!

Hi @_helloitse !

I have collaborated on Supernotes mostly with friends and family so far, for outside-of-work projects. Not quite what you’re asking, but hopefully relevant experience.

It’s very quick, in that once your collaborator has added a card or updated a card, it’ll load on your screen PDQ.

Something important to note is that editing the card body and title is done in a “check-out” fashion, rather than a live colab such as with Google docs. So if I’ve started editing our shared card, you can’t edit it until I’ve hit “finish”. Since Supernotes is designed towards notes of a smallish size, this usually works fine in my experience. Others can still comment on a card you’re editing.

Something I probably take for granted, but is actually a unique and useful feature, is the permissions management and personal/shared management for cards, which gives users a lot of control. Users have a lot of power to manage how they share cards (e.g. can the people you share the card with make child cards? Can they edit or just comment?) - this is the permissions management. There’s also a lot of control over whether a card you write is visible - e.g. you can make a child card in a card you share with others, and then choose not to “publish” it, so that only you can see it.

I guess one other observation is that the Supernotes format is different to other note taking apps, and this has an effect on how collaboration happens. Supernotes is quite atomic, with lots of links between atoms. This is great because you can make connections that you might not otherwise make, and it allows you to travel round your notes in a fast and meaningful way. This also comes with a lot of freedom over how a body of notes is structured. In teams, this structure can develop in various ways. For example, you might agree a policy beforehand… or you might not and then find individuals adding their own structure and it might arise more organically. Either way, the creators of supernotes have left a lot of structure decisions (and power) up to you.

Sidenote: Links between cards can be directed (hierachical, i.e. parent-child) or undirected (text in one card can link to another card). A single card can have multiple parents. (And of course there’s a powerful tagging feature for grouping cards separately to the parent-child relationship.) These capabilities are surprisingly useful, because it allows you to structure your notes much more similarly to how you think.

The mobile apps are ok, and getting better. I use Supernotes on my iphone as my main notetaking app. It’s surpassed Evernote due to being faster and simpler, despite my using Evernote for several years.

As to no-signal/reception situations, that’s a downside: currently, you can’t edit a note offline. This is no doubt in Tobias and Connor’s list of features to implement, and I am looking forward to it arriving because I’ve certainly had times when I’ve wanted to make a note but had no signal and it’s frustrating.

Not sure on the pricing front I’m afraid!

And another tangential note, I have used supernotes in work just to send people notes, since you can send a link to a note that anyone (with or without a supernotes account) can see. This has been quite useful if I’ve jotted down ideas (such as maths written in LaTeX) and want to share easily.

1 Like