Compact view

I want to make an argument for introducing a “compact view” mode. Look at the following screenshot:

One of the things that I believe is difficult currently in Supernotes, is being able to scan for the note you want. Most note taking apps (Bear, Apple Notes, Obsidian, you name it) surface a simple list of notes, and then allow you to select the note you want to interact with.

There’s currently a div that is applying max height of 400px that I found in the browser inspector, and just changed it to be a different value (100px in the screenshot below)

I think there’s a ton of value in adding a “Compact” view for those who want it, who want to interact with a “list” of notes, and then click into notes to further interact with them.

There’s a similar feature request here, which is to show only the title, and I think this would also be a great substitute to that feature, that is probably a lot simpler to implement (just need to change that single value): Summary view that shows only titles?

2 Likes

One other thing to consider, is privacy. A lot of times I’m writing notes maybe in a public place, maybe with screensharing on. One of the nice things about how most applications offer a list of notes, is that because they’re mostly obscured, I can browse without a lot of worry that someone will see something they’re not supposed to see, whether that be confidential information, banking information, notes from conversations with others that they are not supposed to see, etc. For instance, I have private conversations with people at work. I keep all of these on the same tag. So there is a chance that someone will be able to see a lot of details of my conversation with someone else. I’m sure you could come up with other examples as well.

Hi @reywright,

Thanks for this feature request with custom screenshots – it’s really helpful to hear your in-depth thinking behind this.

As you’ve noticed we could add a user preference to modify how much of a card you see by default. Although a new “Outline” view that only show’s card titles (similar to the sidebar Outline) is something we’d like to add soon, and would probably be better as you can then toggle between the modes more easily. We will see what we can do.

Re. privacy you can modify a card’s visibility to be “Invisible” which means they won’t show up normally. Also you can use spoiler tags by wrapping a phrase with exclamation marks, to blur it so someone looking over your shoulder won’t be able to read private information. Although you probably know this already! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Although a new “Outline” view that only show’s card titles (similar to the sidebar Outline) is something we’d like to add soon, and would probably be better as you can then toggle between the modes more easily.

Totally, that would be a more ideal solution for sure.

1 Like