PDF upload support

Hi @techguyalabama, welcome to the Supernotes community! :raised_hands: Great question. I thought I’d delve a bit more into our thinking right now, since it’s been a little while.

Supernotes is front and foremost a note-taking app, and previously we’ve been focusing on creating the best fast short-form note-taking experience available. Not many other note-taking platforms out there offer apps on all platforms (Mac, Windows, Linux, Android, iOS and Web), with real-time collaboration, syncing and offline mode out of the box.

While we have been heavily exploring cloud storage and viewing for PDFs and more, we are concerned about feature creep. Especially since there’s also lots of excitement for other big improvements such as better task management and an in-built calendar. Suddenly the app could get very bloated and be a master of none – something we and our community generally doesn’t want.

As I’ve mentioned previously, it’s often better to add links to your cloud storage files:

And since Supernotes can be dragged to be a very narrow window, it works excellently to type notes alongside pdfs, even if it’s a different application.

Having said all of this, we do want to add support for external files including PDFs within Supernotes, but in a “Supernotes” fashion – and have the ability where we tightly integrate with other tools and cloud services. This will take a little while, with no exact release date yet, but as @connor mentioned it will arrive in a 3.x release – we promise it will be worth the wait!

1 Like