"/" able while card is focused and in preview mode

I bunch of times I’ve found myself wanting to hit the “/” key while viewing my cards and not editing them. When the “+” menu comes up, there are a few options in there that have nothing to do with editing the contents of a card, but rather taking action on the card itself such as:

• applying color
  • giving it an icon
  • giving it a parent
  • or tagging it

This is sort of a hassle when you first have to hit (⌘ + Return) to start editing first, then “/”, then find one of the options listed above. Also, there’s a cognitive dissonance there because I’m not thinking about editing its contents, I want to take action on the card itself, so why would I have to enter edit mode? That’s the question I kept asking myself.

Would be great to just be able to hit the forward slash while you’re focused on a card and it isn’t in edit mode and still have that menu pop up to the side. Only now, the menu options are trimmed down to only the actions you can take on the card itself.

Oh I should mention that “/” starting a new note would be disabled. I don’t know of too many situations where that would be how you’d title a new note. However, a simple workaround for that would be to start a new note by typing a different character first, delete that character and type “/” for your title if someone were really using that for a title.

Thanks for reading.

4 Likes

Oh, I should also mention other options that I think would be fantastic to show in the popup menu for the card along with the ones I listed above:

• Copy as Markdown
  • Copy as Plain Text
  • Copy as Rich Text
  • Copy Link to Card
  • Pin
  • Junk

Those would be super handy! Those copy actions would copy all the contents of the card.

3 Likes

Marking this as implemented as recent updates have added the ability to press Cmd / CtrlK while focused on a card to “Modify…” (apply color, tag, parent, visibility, junk and more) or “Interact with…” (copy card id, copy link, copy markdown, copy html, like, locate and pin card).

The only things missing are giving a card an icon, but this will only be added once Filtering by Icon is added (and is being tracked separately); and copying plain text / a share link (if these are still desired please create a new feature request to add these to Card Interactions).

2 Likes

That’s awesome! Very nice! Thanks for the update!

1 Like

Is there a specific reason why you used another command instead of the normal ‘/’ command?

From my perspective using / is a lot more intuitive and I’ve also had my self trying to use it just to notice that I first have to go into edit mode.

Why not stay consistent with the commands?

Edit:
While I agree that it is implemented in some way, the implementation has an unnecessary extra step imo.
I would much rather prefer to be able to use the slash command directly over
Hitting CMD+K then either selecting Modify card with the mouse or pressing the down arrow two times, then hitting enter and then having a Completely different View to modify the card, compared to the /-command.

Afai can tell there is also no option to add new Tags in via the CMD+K Window, only already existing ones. Or am I missing something @tobias?

2 Likes

Well said. I agree. I’m not sure why there would be a refusal to use the / command instead as originally requested.

The reason this was not implemented as a bare slash (“/”) is because that is a character currently in our list of “start typing to create a new card” characters, so making forward slash do this instead would be a backwards incompatible change and break existing workflows.

But yes, accessing this menu could probably be a bit more seamless, so we will think further about how we can make this better.

3 Likes

Just to follow up on this: in 3.0.8 we released a new shortcut (ctrl/cmd + i) that will immediately open the quick actions menu. Hopefully that is a suitable compromise for everyone!

3 Likes

I noticed a couple of weird issues with this:

• that command (⌘ + I) works even though a card isn’t selected making that a bit confusing which card it’s working on
  • After opening up the quick actions menu, the caret is flashing as if you can type. However, all of the options have single-key shortcuts which easily gets in the way of typing the option you’re looking for.
    • Currently, there are three different options that start with the word “Copy” and one of those options includes the word “content”. If I wanted to type content to drill down, the “Copy Card Link” option is automatically selected because I typed “c” (the shortcut for “Copy Card Link”) when my intention was to get to “Copy content”
    • the ability to type the option you want and single-key shortcuts do not work together—they clash

My Suggestions:

• Quick Actions menu should only work if a card is selected/highlighted to eliminate confusion
  • Either remove the ability to type in the quick actions menu, or do one of the following as examples: add modifier keys to the shortcuts, use numbers instead, or remove the single-key shortcuts altogether while leaving the typing feature alone allowing users to type the option they’re looking for.

Accessing the Quick Actions menu via ⌘ + I is a nice compromise though :+1:. Just needs some kinks worked out.

Thanks for the feedback @marlonr. We were experimenting with a different method of input, but you’re totally right it can be a bit confusing since the UX is the same but the behaviour is different. We will be improving this in an upcoming update!

2 Likes