Smarter Tasks

So, in an effort to simplify the apps/tools for my workflow, I’m trialing using Supernotes for my to-do list (migrating from Things 3).

For those interested, for my new to-do list system, I’ve implemented my take on the Ugmonk Analog Method whereby, I have a daily card, a card for each week and a card for the month and move my to-dos between those 3 cards. Think of it as a card for what I need to do for that day, then one zoomed out for each week and one for each month and I move my to-dos between those 3 cards as I see fit in line with my priorities.

Anyways, as I’ve been using this new method, I got to thinking, I’d love the ability to have what I’m calling Smarter Tasks. So what I mean by this is essentially for to-dos to automatically become a parent card so I can create child cards for everything connected to that to do in that specific card which would be a real productivity win in my personal view. Depending on broader need/appetite and feasibility around whether this could be implemented, as a potential workaround, I figured I might be able to do this manually and create manual links for each to-do in my list. Only issue I’ve been running into is that the option to create a new card based on that to-do is not always available from within the card.

Essentially, I can’t highlight a to-do, press “/” and that option to “Create” - I’m referring to this from this Supernotes help page: Card Links | Supernotes Help where you can see that the option to “Create” comes up. I’m not getting that option if I highlight a to-do and try to create a new card from that an link it back, presumably because cards with similar terms have already been identified from my card set.

If automatic card creation for individual to-dos isn’t feasible, I’d love to know whether there can be a more robust process for creating new links from highlighted text within a card I’m editing. Perhaps there’s a solution to this already but would love to get input on this!

I may have just answered my own question re. the workaround for now. Doesn’t seem as though it’s currently possible to create new cards through Preview - link to the relevant page here FYI:

Still, would love to get views on the Smarter Tasks idea

Hi @Fizzster21,

Sooo with the arrival of Custom Collections (and hopefully date ranges!) in Supernotes 3.1, much of your system can be automated (if you so wish). You will be able to have a “This Week”, and “This Month” collection which will automatically house those cards (you can even scope it to a particular tag, or cards that only contain tasks, i.e. - [ ]).

We’ve also been thinking more about adding a “table of contents” block, which you could in theory format to be a list or checklist. This would be the inverse of your proposed method, so you’d just open a parent card and write child cards. And then priority child cards would be added into the parent automatically.

Finally, you’re correct, you can’t create links from Previewed cards. This is a long overdue issue, and I’ve further increased the priority for us to implement this behaviour.

I’m moving this topic to Tips & Workflows and it’s an interesting workflow, and links to existing open specific feature requests :slight_smile:

3 Likes

That’s exciting - thanks for the response @tobias - looking forward to seeing how this will streamline things!

1 Like