Which three features would you like next?

Descendants depth in Noteboard

Multiple parent filters

Web clipper (extension and share sheet)

4 Likes

Very interesting. Please could you give a bit more detail on what you mean by 1 &3? Depth as in, show not only the cards in the current view but all their child cards etc to depth x? How do you envisage tabletop view will work? I’ve not got any experience with such a concept in other apps. Thanks.

1. Most of all: Offline mode. I would love for SN to become my main note taking process on my phone, but the amount of times I just can’t write a note because I don’t have internet. Really can’t wait for this one to arrive.

2. More powerful searching. It occurs to me that it would be useful to have a search that considered both the card (title and body) and that of its parents (and how about optionally its links?), because often (in the way I use SN) the meaning of the card is given by the parent.

3. Less important: Mind map view. I like mind mapping, and feel the SN structure would lend itself easily to this.

Also: re: Better table support. I switch to Numbers (Mac excel) as soon as I need to do some comparative research where I can grade things and rank them. That said, I don’t think I’d mind that much if supernotes intentionally doesn’t cater for this. Better to do fewer things well, imo.

2 Likes

Capture on mobile (iOS) and Web clipping (desktop browsers). Cards are literally perfect for this. It’s actually surprising this doesn’t exist on an app that many students use.

1 Like
  1. A web clipper.
  2. Ability to attach PDFs and image files to cards.
  3. WYSIWYG editor.
2 Likes

Re #2, do you want to be able to attach files in a way that isn’t inline, i.e. in the card? I don’t think PDFs can be inserted atm, but other image files can be.

Hi Daniel, thanks for your comment. Yes, my request was about being able to attach documents such as pdfs, Word documents and and spreadsheets to cards. Apologies for the confusion - I don’t know why I mentioned image files!

New user here, I agree with the suggestions in the thread regarding Depth, a built-in Table Editor, and Batch Editing. But for the moment manual sorting would trump all :slight_smile:

100%, these are my top 3

• Bulk update notes - tags, parents, colours, etc.
  • Universal quick add - a shortcut to create a note quickly!
1 Like

@markkoeks do you use iOS? I built a shortcut to add notes.

I’m on Android but I’m sure there must be a way if you were able to accomplish this on iOS

this might be a bit out there as a feature, but I’d like to be able to indicate parent/child relationships at once and have supernotes parse it. maybe you’d want an Outliner mode or something for this. But basically what I’m imagining is you write your stuff in markdown but you use something like # heading levels to indicate the structure and parent/child/grandchild relationships. Then when you’re done you save and Supernotes just automagically builds out the structure of the cards for you.

I do a lot of hierarchies (I was using Remnote most recently which is more of an outliner/traditional note-taking app with a flash card feature) and I find that imposing hierarchy on my cards as I’m going along often “takes me out” of the “zone” (and hierarchy isn’t hard to impose in Supernotes but it’s not as super zen fluid as it could be). I can say more if this wasn’t clear. It’s possible I’m not quite using the app for its intended purpose (new user here).

2 Likes

The way RemNote lets you “zoom in” on a particular heading and see everything underneath is instructive here, I think. Obviously that’s more of an outlining/general note-taking tool and not a note-card tool, but I think the basic idea has applicability to Supernotes.

@JustinESQ I love your idea of adding Supernotes specific markdown for generating card hierarchies! :heart:

It would solve one of my long-standing issues; that it’s currently slow to generate repeated (template) note hierarchies.

For example, every time I take notes from a particular source (book, article, video, etc.), I use the same hierarchy of notes under the parent, but I need to manually add each card, title, tags, and content template. Like you, I find that process takes me out of my note-making flow.

If I could use a Raycast snippet to create the markdown for a particular card hierarchy on a single card, edit the content to make the titles, tags, etc. specific for this source, then tell Supernotes to convert that card into a hierarchy—my problem is solved!

At first I was thinking that your idea of reusing # heading levels for creating the hierarchy would be a mistake, because overloading the concept seemed risky. But as long as Supernotes doesn’t automatically convert cards to hierarchies (i.e. the user has to select “Convert to hierarchy” in the card’s action menu), then I don’t see it being a problem. In fact, because Supernotes already knows how to render # heading levels, it would probably make it easier to “see” the resulting tree structure whilst you’re working on it.

I think there are two key differences between RemNote and Supernotes, which might not make “see everything underneath” be the right solution for Supernotes. 1) As you correctly identified, RemNote is an outliner, and its unit of content is the bullet point, not the note-card. 2) Supernotes has a Noteboard (the middle view), which is currently fixed at showing one level of child notes. Showing one level is what users want a lot of the time, but not all the time.

That’s why I think the correct solution for Supernotes is depth control for the Noteboard, rather than forcing any particular depth.

Yeah I agree that having the hierarchy conversion be a special mode is important. But yeah, the fact that the heading levels already intuitively maps to the structure of people’s notes (for many people, at least) is a reason to use them in particular for Hierarchy Mode.

I am curious what your standard hierarchy template is, if you would not mind sharing!

Oh yeah, I’d be fine with user-selectable depth, so long as 1) max possible depth was an option and 2) exports respected the selection (so that you could e.g. export a “traditional” markdown document with all your levels of hierarchy represented if you wanted to.)

2 Likes

(BTW, not to get political, but I’m not a fan of Jordan Peterson, and I wasn’t able to extract many insights from his book)

3 Likes

Thanks for sharing!

Regarding 12 Rules, a friend of mine (who liked some JP content) made a couple of videos of the beginning of the book that were very critical.

In the general self-help genre, some recent faves for me have been A Guide to the Good Life and How to Think Like a Roman Emperor (both are Stoic books).

2 Likes