Card Depth (view child cards recursively)

I’m pretty happy with the current sort system. Especially I like that SN remembers the sorting options for specific card in Sidebar.

Снимок экрана 2020-07-01 в 12.35.28

But I still think one important option is missed: there is no way show the parent cards together with all their children recursively.

Here is an example. I’m collecting quotes from books that I have read:

Reading
  Author1
    Book1
      Quote1
      Quote2
      Quote3
    Book2
      Quote1
      Quote2
      Quote3
  Author2
    Book1
      Quote1
      Quote2
      Quote3
    Book2
      Quote1
      Quote2
      Quote3
etc

In current sorting implementation if I open Author1 card I’ll see only two cards: Book1 and Book2. But there are times when you need to look at all the containing cards recursively (in this example: including all the quotes cards, that relate to Author1).

So, I suggest to add a checkbox Show children cards near the sorting options to show/hide the children.

What do you think? Without this option you can not view all the related cards from the ‘bird view’.

1 Like

Hi @Valery_Kondakoff, you have hit the nail on the head here. We have this feature planned, and internally are calling it “Depth” - potentially allowing you to configure how deep you would like the recursion to go.

This will be most likely be released alongside a “Graph View” for your note-cards.

1 Like

Hi there,

I just came across this idea: Add a switch with the effect that when opening a card in the noteboard, not only its children are shown, but also its children’s children, its children’s children’s children, and so on. This one could (or even should) restrict to priority cards to limit complexity. That would be so neat!

Does anyone agree?

Regards, Robin

Hi @freisatz,

Yes this is definitely great idea and is something we have thought about for a while and will be adding it in the near future, I mentioned it previously in our future plans.

So everything is in one place I am going to combine the responses into one topic called “Card Depth”

1 Like

Thats great news! For me and my workflow, I think this may turn out to be a killer feature

I was not aware of this thread, thanks for merging.

1 Like